FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Common Problems & How to Solve Them
Have a problem? Don't panic!
We've compiled a list of the most common questions we get and easy instructions on how to address them. Take a spin through this list to see if we have an easy fix for your problem.
Don't see your issue on the list? Not to worry! Get in touch with us through this contact form and we'll work through things with you personally.
There’s a one week window to download the tutorial you purchased from your unique download links. If you need the links reactivated just drop us a line here and we’ll reactivate them for you! Please reference your order number or the e-mail address you used when you purchased the tutorial.
That means your download is working! Check your downloads window in your web browser and you should see the download rolling along.
1. Adjust your computer’s energy saving preferences so that your computer does not go to sleep in the middle of the download.
2. Download the file using either Safari or Firefox. Both these web browsers allow you to resume incomplete downloads. This way if your internet cuts out, or you have a power failure you can resume the download. Instructions for resuming a download in Safari. Instructions for resuming a download in Firefox.
3. When downloading with a slow internet connection (less than 5Mbps, you can take a free speed test here) try download the file overnight when there may be less usage on your internet service provider’s network.
You can try our alternate download server by appending ?alt=c to the end of your download links URLS. This can be especially useful for international customers.
First check the size of the .zip file. Right-click the zip file and select either “Get Info” on a Mac or “Properties” on a PC. If the file size shown is smaller than the following full file size then you’re missing part of the zip file and will either need to resume the original download or start a fresh download (See part 2 of “I’m having difficulty downloading the file, arghh!“)
How to Shoot Awesome Video: 1.3GB
Fantastic Fundamental Light Skills: 29.5MB
Really Easy Retouching:1.12GB
Incredibly Important Composition Skills: 633.1MB
Before/After: Black & White: 1.23GB
Backup or Die: 9.8MB
Super Photo Editing Skills: 2.47GB
Awesome Album Design Skills: 1.77GB
Extremely Essential Camera Skills: 878.5MB
Simple Wedding Photography: 120.1MB
How We Did It: Lobster Island: 41.3MB
The Creativity Field Guide: 47.6MB
Note: You may notice that your web browser indicates it’s downloading a slightly smaller sized file. This is just a discrepancy with how file sizes are measured. The above file sizes are what should be shown when you check the file on your computer.
This usually happens on Windows. Try using the free zip utility 7-Zip.
This also often happens on Windows. You can actually look inside the zip file without unzipping it. The problem is some video players won’t play files that are still zipped up. You can solve the problem by right clicking the zip file and selecting “Extract All” in order to fully unzip the file.
Videos still not working? This mainly happens with our Extremely Essential Camera Skills tutorial. The PDF basically just contains links which open the videos in your computer's default video player. Adobe Reader should be opening those videos when you click the play buttons in the PDF, the problem could be that the videos or PDF have been moved from their original folder - so the links aren't working anymore.
What you can do is just open the videos directly from the Videos folder. To do this go back to the folder you got when you unzipped the file you downloaded. The folder should be called "Extremely Essential Camera Skills" and it might be in your computer's default downloads folder. Inside that folder you'll find another folder called "Videos", that's where you'll find all the video files which you should be able to double click to play.
The screencast videos included in some of our tutorials do not natively play on the iPad / iPhone though it is possible to convert them to a playable format (instructions provided below).
The best option for iPad / iPhone viewing
With the GoodReader App
2. Next transfer the zip file to the GoodReader app on your iPad.
2a. Instructions for USB file Transfer (easiest and fastest).
2b. Instructions for Wi-Fi file Transfer (requires a bit of setup but after you get the hang of
3. Then use GoodReader to unzip the file and you’ll have a folder containing the tutorial and you’ll be able to view the videos and PDFs in the GoodReader app.
4. After you’ve unzipped and have the folder containing the tutorial, then you may want to delete the original zip file to save space on your iPad. (Another option would be to unzip the tutorial file on your computer first, and then transfer the unzipped folder to your iPad using the same methods above)
Note: You can also download the tutorial directly into the GoodReader app. We don’t recommend this method since a few of the tutorials are quite large in file size and download connection over an iPad / iPhone might not be great. If you do choose this
Without the GoodReader App
How to Shoot Awesome Video! – Open the videos and the 01-How-to-Shoot-Awesome-video.pdf file with iTunes on your computer, and then sync your iPad with iTunes the same way you would music. You’ll then find the video files in the Videos app, and the pdf file in the iBooks app.
Incredibly Important Composition Skills – Open the incredibly-important-composition-skills.pdf file with iTunes on your computer, and then sync your iPad with iTunes the same way you would music. You’ll find the pdf in the iBooks app.
Fantastic Fundamental Light Skills- Open the 01-Fantastic-Fundamental-Light-Skills.pdf file with iTunes on your computer, and sync your iPad with iTunes the same way you would music. You'll find the pdf in the iBooks app.
Simple Wedding Photography – Open the 01-simple-wedding-photography.pdf file with iTunes on your computer, and then sync your iPad with iTunes the same way you would music. You’ll find the pdf in the iBooks app.
Super Photo Editing Skills – Open the pdf files with iTunes on your computer, and then sync your iPad with iTunes the same way you would music. You’ll find the pdf in the iBooks app. For the
Before/After – Follow the same procedure for viewing the videos as mentioned above with Super Photo Editing Skills
Backup or Die – Open the 01-backup-or-die.pdf file with iTunes on your computer, and then sync your iPad with iTunes the same way you would music. You’ll find the pdf in the iBooks app.
How We Did It: Lobster Island – Open the 01-How We Did It: Lobster Island.pdf file with iTunes on your computer, and then sync your iPad with iTunes the same way you would music. You’ll find the pdf in the iBooks app.
The Creativity Field Guide – Follow the same procedure as mentioned above with Simple Wedding Photography (name of the pdf will be different).
Really Easy Retouching – Follow the same procedure for viewing the videos as mentioned above with Super Photo Editing Skills
Awesome Album Design Skills – Follow the same procedure for viewing the videos as mentioned above with Super Photo Editing Skills
You can follow these instructions for transferring pdfs and videos to your device. From the Google Play store we recommend Adobe Reader for viewing pdfs, and either VLC or MX player for viewing videos.
1. Adobe Reader is a free PDF viewer (for Mac & PC) that we recommend using to view the PDF files. It’s the only PDF viewer that will open linked in videos (like the ones found in the Extremely Essential Camera Skills tutorial). If you prefer using a program like Preview (Mac) to view the files you can easily open the videos manually. We recommend avoiding using Preview when possible because it renders text less clearly than Adobe Reader.
2. VLC is a free, open-source video player (for Mac & PC) that will play the videos beautifully.
3. GoodReader is a well designed iOS app you can use to view PDFs and videos on your iPad / iPhone. For a free iPad app option check out Adobe Reader.
Don't see your issue listed above?
Get in touch with us directly. We're happy to help!