Is it weird that I’m very excited to write this review? Maybe, but that’s ok!! This little program has saved us an unbelievable number of hours of work over the years we’ve used it, so I’m really excited to share it’s amazingness with you!
AutoLoader is so critical in our workflow that I often forget that other people don’t know about it. It seems like it should be an essential feature of Photoshop, but it’s not, so luckily the amazing Mike D went and made AutoLoader and life was beautiful for photographers. It works for Mac AND PC, and multiple current versions of Photoshop and Bridge.
So what is this magical program? It’s VERY simple.
How It Works
1. You open AutoLoader in Photoshop, tell it which folder of images you’re working on, and which folder you’d like to save the edited files into.
2. Then you close it up, press one button (which can be pretty much any button you assign. We’re partial to F3), and up pops your first image.
3. You do all your nifty editing, then you press that button again, and AutoLoader will save your file into the designated folder, and then automagically open up the next image! Work away.
You just whiz through the whole folder like that, never having to manually save or open or any of that tedious stuff that eats up so much time.
Here’s a screenshot, it only takes a second to realize how brilliant this is.
When To Use It
You may know that we do the vast majority of our editing in Adobe Lightroom. So why would we use a Photoshop plugin?
For albums or print orders we always retouch the files right before sending them off. With Autoloader you can get through retouching a whole folder in no time flat. Super duper.
- Program any shortcut to save, close, and open with one click
- Turbo mode makes it even more snappy. I didn’t think that was possible, but there you have it.
- It will auto-run actions when the image is first opened, or just before you save it. Madness.
- It remembers where you left off, so you can take a break in the middle, and then keep on truckin’ later on
- Works with JPEG, TIFF, and PSD files
- We often open an image, and decide we’d like to change a previous edit. We just open up that previous one, having two photos on the go at once. Edit them both, hit your next button, and both will be saved.
When it comes to software there are certainly a lot of huge complex programs that we need to know about, but it’s often the simple things that really make workflow smooth and efficient.
AutoLoader is absolutely one of those, and I just can’t say enough good things about how much it helps us work! I’d say that $50 (the current special price) is a nominal fee for hours and hours of time saved.